Really simple Chicken Liver Pate, very quick and cheap to make.
- 1lb chicken livers (you can buy frozen from butchers or supermarket)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tea cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 6 oz butter, soft and another 3 or 4 oz melted to seal the ramekins
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons brandy or whisky
- place the chicken livers, onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, water and 1 teaspoon of salt into a saucepan and bring to the boil and simmer for approx 7 minutes.
- remove from heat and let mixture sit for 5 minutes
- take out the solids and place in a liquidiser
- start liquidising and add the soft butter bit by bit until combined
- add second teaspoon of salt and black pepper then the brandy or whisky
- process for 2 more minutes until the mixture is really smooth and creamy
- spoon into ramekin dishes and smooth off top leaving some space for the butter
- Melt remaining butter and add some white pepper and pour over to just cover the pate
- leave in fridge for at least 4 or 5 hours to set, longer if possible
Method for Melba Toast:-
- toast bread
- cut off crusts
- then slide a knife between the slice to split the slice in half, knife should slip through the middle soft part of the bread easily
- cut into triangles, they look better than my rectangles in the photo!
- serve and enjoy n.b. make extra, because it gets eaten very quickly!!